The Road Back In Time
Cairo Bank Building Museum
Open Seasonally May–October
Call for Tour 304.628.3777
The Bank of Cairo was established in 1897 during the height of the oil boom of the late 19th century. Renamed the Mutual Bank in 1902, it closed its doors in 1931 and reopened in 1941 as the Farmer and Merchants Bank of Cairo. When this institution moved to an expanded location in the 1970s, the building was conveyed to the Town of Cairo. Located in the center of the town of Cairo, this two and half story brick commercial building with classically inspired details has a corner entrance and intact interior lobby. The interior has a pressed metal ceiling with a floral pattern and curved crown molding elements with a palm motif.
286 Main Street
Cairo Post Office
150 Railroad Street
Historic RC Marshall Hardware Building
Barber shop, antique store
Ritchie County Veteran’s Memorial
1 Railroad Street
Egypt Cemetery - Frances (Piatt) McKinney Gravesite (1770-1847)
Served as Flower Girl during George Washington’s first
188 Cairo Road
Berdine’s 5 & Dime
106 North Court Street
‘The Building’ Cliff’s Museum of Car Memorabilia
305 East Main Street
General Thomas M. Harris School Museum
217 West Main Street
The original school was a four-room building constructed in 1878. In 1894, the school altered its curriculum to also serve as a high school. Students cam from surounding communtieis and boarded with local families. To accommodate the growing student body, a rear addition was completed in 1904 that doubled the building’s size. After a new high school was built in 1924, the building became Harrisville Grade School. It features a blend of Italianate and Greek Revival details.
Harrisville Pioneer Cemetery Oldest existing cemetery in Ritchie County
Gravesites of three Revolutionary War Soldiers
94 Hoover Field Road
Independent Order of Odd Fellows Cemetery General Thomas M. Harris Gravesite (1817-1906)
Civil War Union General
136 Cemetery Drive
Ritchie County Court House
115 East Main Street
Built in 1923, the Ritchie County Court House is a fine example of neoclassical design and features a two-story portico and two-story clock tower on the main elevation. Inside, a center rotunda is accented by whte plaster pilasters with Doric capitals, a terrazzo floor with a star and compass motif, and sandstone wainscoting. A monument to Ritchie County’s war dead is located on the lawn. This was the second permanent county court house with the first constructed in 1874.
Old Stone House Museum & Ritchie County Historical Society
310 Myles Avenue
304.659.3962 or 304.659.2249
The Old Stone House was constructed C. 1815 and thrived for many years as an inn because of its location on the North-western Turnpike between Clarksburg and Parkersburg. Stonewall Jackson and Sam Houston were among the prominent individuals who are rumored to have stayed at the inn. The house also served as Pennsboro’s first post office and was often used for county court.
Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot
Broadway Street (Call for Tour)
304.659.3962 or 304.659.2249
The Pennsboro B&O Depot, constructed between 1883 and 1900, is centrally located on what was the Parkersburg Branch of the B&O Railroad, sitting roughly half-way between Clarksburg and Parkersburg. For many years, the fortunes of Ritchie C0unty and the B&O Railroad were closely intertwined. At the height of the B&O tenure, Pennsboro was a bustling center of commerce and communication. The B&O Depot was the nexus of this vital activity.